Amethyst is one of the most popular crystals, and a wonderful option for those new to collecting (in fact, we included it on our list of Crystals for Beginners!). Part of that popularity is, yes!, it’s simply gorgeous with that vibrant, yet soft purple. But Amethyst’s healing properties are also varied and universally helpful.
Amethyst is like a deep breath - the kind you need to calm your mind, body, and soul; the kind you need to feel connected to the universe around you; the kind we all need more of.
Healing Properties of Amethyst
- Calmness: Amethyst has been the anxiety go-to in the crystal community for years. Its peaceful presence can calm an overactive mind, making it excellent for preventing and soothing moments of stress.
- Intuition: Amethyst’s high-vibrating, positive energy makes it one of the more spiritual stones. It helps connect to divine guidance and your own inner-knowing.
- Protection: Amethyst can provide a circle of protection around your mental and emotional wellbeing. Good to keep nearby if you have to interact with toxic people.
- Cleansing: Not only is Amethyst protecting against negative energy, it can transform negative energy into positive energy. This cleansing property only enhances all of the others!
- Healing: Often used to aid with painful ailments like headaches. Also a good choice for anyone trying to overcome addiction—they may find healing and confidence to stay the course with Amethyst. (Fun fact, “Amethyst” comes from a Greek word that means “not drunken.”)
Ways To Use Amethyst
You can (and should!) incorporate your Amethyst crystal in whatever way your intuition suggests, but here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Meditation: If you’re having difficulty settling into meditation because your mind is overactive or you are experiencing negative emotions, amethyst can help. Great whenever you want to go even deeper into your meditation practice.
- Bedside: With its calming properties, it should be no surprise that Amethyst is a great stone for those struggling with insomnia. Leave it by your bedside or include it in a pre-sleep ritual, which can be as simple as holding your Amethyst crystal while taking a few cleansing breaths.
- Calmness To-Go: If you’re experiencing heightened anxiety or worried about an event or conversation later on in your day, bring your Amethyst with you.
- Combinations: Combine Amethyst with any Crystal for Anxiety for increased calmness, or combine Amethyst with Spirit Quartz or Herkimer Diamond for higher spiritual connection during meditation.
- Chakra Work: Amethyst is connected to the Throat, Third Eye, and Crown Chakras. You can place the crystal on any of these chakras to help unblock stagnant energy and bring balance.